Whether you’re at the game or having a party with the neighbors, make tailgating easy with our Tex Mex Serrano Popper Taquitos! Prep in the kitchen before kickoff and enjoy the game with this tasty appetizer!
Tex Mex Serrano Popper Taquitos
Difficulty: Medium | Time to Prepare: 60 minutes | Feeds: 12 (2 Bites per serving)
- 1 Bag (10oz.) All Natural Tex Mex Corn & Mukimame, cooked according to package instructions, cooled slightly
- 4 oz. (½ package) Cream Cheese, softened
- 6 Slices Bacon, cooked and finely crumbled
- 1 lb Chihuahua Cheese, shredded, divided (see Chef’s Tip)
- 12 Large Serrano Peppers, halved, seeded & stems removed (see Chef’s Tip)
- Cilantro Leaves (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine cream cheese, bacon, Tex-Mex Corn & Mukimame and ⅓ cup of the cheese in a small mixing bowl. Mix well. Place mixture into a small resealable plastic bag, pushing mixture towards one corner and twisting the opposite corner to form a piping bag. Set aside.
- Place two equal-sized mixing bowls on a work surface about 12-in. apart. Then place the ends of two wooden spoons stretching from one bowl to the other to create a “bridge”.
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Using ¼ cup measuring cup, place five scant ¼ cup mounds of cheese about two inches apart onto sheet pan. Bake 11-12 minutes or until cheese is bubbling and edges are golden brown. Let stand one minute. Carefully remove cheese crisps from pan and drape over wooden spoons. Let stand ten minutes or until firm. Repeat with remaining cheese to make 24 cheese crisps.
- Meanwhile, trim end of plastic bag with filling; making a large enough to fit the Tex-Mex Corn & Mukimame ingredients. Pipe filling into pepper halves. Place pepper halves into cheese crisps. Top with cilantro leaves, if desired.
Be sure not to use pre-shredded cheese as it doesn’t melt as well. Buy a fresh block of cheese and grate with a cheese grater.
When working with Serrano Peppers, use disposable gloves and avoid contact with your eyes.