White Chicken Chili with Quinoa & Sofrito
Difficulty: Medium | Time to Prepare: 30 | Feeds: 8
Follow along with our step-by-step instructions to make this hearty chili recipe made with Path of Life Southwest Quinoa.
- 2 Pkgs (10 oz) Path of Life Southwest Quinoa
- 2 Cans (15-15.5 oz) great northern beans, drained and rinsed, divided
- 3 Cups low-sodium chicken stock or broth, divided
- 1 Tsp each ground coriander, ground cumin and paprika, divided
- ½ Tsp ground black pepper
- 1½ Lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs, diced into ½-in. pieces
- ½ Tsp sea salt
- 3 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 Medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 Cups prepared sofrito or recaito (see Chef’s Tip)
- Chopped cilantro, sour cream and warm tortillas (optional)
- Combine 1 can of the beans and 1 cup of the chicken stock in a food processor; process until smooth; set aside.
- Combine coriander, cumin, paprika and pepper in a small bowl. Combine chicken, salt and half the spice mixture in a medium mixing bowl. Mix well. Heat 2 tbsp of the oil in a medium sauce pot over medium-high heat until hot. Add chicken and cook 6-8 minutes or until browned on all sides; stirring occasionally. Remove from pot and set aside.
- Add remaining oil and onion. Cook 3-4 minutes or until onion is translucent. Add remaining spice mixture and cook 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add sofrito, pureed beans, chicken, remaining beans and remaining stock. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat and simmer 8-10 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Stir in quinoa. Simmer an additional 5 minutes. Serve hot with cilantro, sour cream and warm tortillas, if desired.
Chef’s Tip: Pureeing one of the cans of beans is a great technique for thickening for this chili. Use this technique on other chili recipes as well!